Recipe : American Chopsuey with Buckwheat Noodles
Here is a simple recipe for making American Chopsuey using Naturally Yours Buckwheat noodles.
Preparation of noodles
• Buckwheat noodles 180g
• 2L water
• 2.5 Tbsp corn flour
• oil as required for deep frying
Preparation of American Chopsuey sauce
• 2 cups of finely sliced or shredded vegetables ( cabbage, carrot and capsicum)
• ¼ cup chopped spring onions or ¼ cup chopped onions
• ½ tsp finely chopped ginger
• ½ tsp finely chopped garlic
• 3 Tbsp tomato ketchup
• 1 Tbsp soy sauce
• ½ Tbsp sweet red chilli sauce or sriracha sauce
• 1 Tbsp oil
• 1.5 to 2 cups water
• ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar
• ¼ tsp black pepper powder
• salt as required
• 2 Tbsp chopped spring onion greens
• 2 Tbsp corn flour
• 2 Tbsp water
• 1 Tbsp chopped spring onion
Preparation of noodles
1. Heat 2L water in a sauce pan.
2. Once the water comes to a rolling boil, lower the flame and add 180 grams noodles.
3. Cook noodles on a medium flame till they become al dente (almost cooked).
4. Check and taste a few noodle strands.
5. Strain the noodles in a colander.
6. Then rinse the cooked noodles very well with fresh water.
7. Remove the noodles in a large plate or tray. Spread them evenly. Let noodles cool at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
8. Add 2.5 tablespoons corn flour on the noodles and mix well so that the corn flour coats the noodles well.
9. Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or a pan.
10. Add a few strands of the noodles and if they come up steadily and gradually then you can begin to fry them. If they settle down at the bottom, the oil needs to get hot. If they come up too quickly then the oil is very hot, so the flame need to be reduced.
11. Add noodles in batches and immediately seperate them with a slotted spoon.
12. Fry till the base become light golden and crisp.
13. Then turn over and fry the second side till crisp and light golden.
14. Turn over a couple of times and fry till the noodles become golden.
15. Remove fried noodles with a slotted spoon draining excess oil in the kadai or pan.
16. Place fried noodles on kitchen paper towels so that extra oil is absorbed.
17. Once cooled, then place the crispy fried noodles in an air-tight container.
Preparation to make chopsuey sauce
1. In a small bowl, take 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and ½ tablespoon sweet red chilli sauce or sriracha sauce.
2. Mix the three sauces very well with a spoon.
3. In another small bowl take 2 tbsp corn flour and 2 tbsp water. mix very well.
Making chopsuey sauce
1. Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a wok or kadai. Keep the flame on low to medium.
2. Add ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger and ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic.
3. Saute for some seconds till the raw aroma of both ginger and garlic goes away.
4. Now add ¼ cup chopped spring onions.
5. Increase the heat to medium or high and stir fry onions for a minute.
6. Now add the shredded veggies. mix very well.
7. Stir fry vegetables on medium to high flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
8. Now reduce the flame and add the sauces. mix very well with the stir fried veggies.
9. Add 1.5 to 2 cups water and mix well.
10. Stir the corn flour paste and then add slowly in the pan.
11. As soon as you add corn flour paste, quickly stir so that lumps are not formed.
12. Season with salt as per taste.
13. Add ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed black pepper. Mix very well.
14. Simmer on a low to medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes till the sauce thickens. Check the taste and the corn flour's raw taste should not be there.
15. Now add 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar or white vinegar.
16. Add ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar. You can add less or more sugar as required.
17. Switch off the flame and now add 2 tablespoons spring onion greens.
18. Mix well. Check the final taste and add salt, sugar, black pepper, soy sauce or any of the sauces if required.
Making american chopsuey
1. Now break the fried noodles and take them in 2 to 3 serving plates or bowls.
2. Top the crispy noodles with the chop suey sauce as required.
3. Garnish with a few spring onion greens.
4. Serve veg american chopsuey immediately.
I hope you try this recipe. Do share your comments in the link below.