6 Amazing Health Benefits of Proso Millet
Proso millet, also called as the white millet, hog millet or Kashif millet is widely grown and consumed in India. It is sold as a health food. It has somewhat an egg-shaped fertile floret and its hull is hard and shiny which firmly encloses the seeds when it is shed.
It comes in a variety of colours, from brownish black, olive brown, light cream, orange red or even golden colour.
Proso Millet is different Indian languages
Proso millet is called Vari (Marathi), Chena/barri (Hindi), Cheena (Punjabi), Cheno (Gujarati)
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PROSO MILLET
1. Nervous system
Proso millet is loaded with Lecithin which indirectly stimulates the nervous system and keeps it functioning smoothly.
2. Lowers Bad cholesterol
Proso millet contains Phytic acid which helps increase the good cholesterol (HDL) and lowers the Bad cholesterol (LDL) (Studies by Kyung-Ok PARK, Yoshiaki ITO et al).
Also, Proso millet is loaded with magnesium, which is beneficial for a healthy heart.
3. Prevents Pellagra
Pellagra is a skin disorder where the skin becomes dry, scaly and rough. It is caused by the deficiency of Niacin (Vitamin B3).
Proso millet contains ample amounts of Niacin which helps prevent Pellagra
4. Celiac disease
Celiac disease is a condition in which the individual is highly resistant and allergic to gluten.
Proso millet, being gluten free is a great option for people with gluten sensitive enteropathy or Celiac disease
5. Rich in anti-oxidants
Proso millet is rich in anti-oxidants which helps in removing the free radicals out of the body. Free radicals are responsible for ageing, dullness and wrinkles on the skin.
Having a sufficient serving of Proso millet in your daily diet can help delay the process of ageing
6. Diabetes Away!
Daily intake of Proso millet can help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Proso millet contains high amounts of magnesium which helps keep a check on blood glucose levels and regulates healthy insulin levels.
In addition to the above-mentioned health benefits, Proso millet serves as a healthy option for bone strengthening, heart and liver health, weight loss and can protect against Gallstones and Cancer too!
HOW TO COOK PROSO MILLET
Proso millet can be added to a variety of dishes. It is a tiny pale-yellow seed with a nutty flavour which can be either eaten whole or cooked.Some people, including myself, believe that it is best to pre-soak all grains before cooking. Soaking
1. Firstly, rinse the millet before cooking to remove any loose starch or impurity. This process also helps to avoid stickiness during the cooking process
2. Next, soak your millet in 3-4 times the amount of water overnight or at least for 6 hours. This step helps the grain to be more digestible in order to get all the nutrients inside.
3. Next, you can boil water in a pot, add millet and salt and allow it to simmer after giving a boil. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
HOW TO INCLUDE PROSO MILLET IN YOUR DAILY DIET
1. Sprouted millet seeds can be added to soups, salads
2. Proso millet seeds can also be ground to a flour to make breads, fermented foods and pasta, breads, noodles etc.
3. They can be added to the vegetable stews or meat.
4. Proso millet can be stir fried with chopped veggies
5. Proso millet porridge can be made with cooked millet by adding fruits and nuts
6. Proso millet flour can be used to make chapati, dosa or idlis too.
STORAGE OF PROSO MILLET
This millet can be stored in a dry, warm condition.
A SIMPLE RECIPE _ PROSO MILLET UPMA
1 cup Proso millet
1 tbsp oil
1 medium sized onion and carrots
2 chopped green chillies
2 cups water
Half tsp mustard seeds, cumin seeds each
1. Wash 1 cup of Proso millet and soak them for 30 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, jeera, curry leaves, veggies and green chillies and sauté them
3. Now add 2 cups of water and salt and allow it to boil
4. Add the soaked millets to the boiling water and turn the heat low
5. Now your healthy and nutritious Proso millet upma is ready
Serve it with hot with sambar or coconut chutney.
It is no wonder that Proso millets are one of the miracle grains because they have high nutritional values compared to wheat and rice.
If you want to increase your protein intake, adding Proso millet to your diet is a great way to do so. it is known to be be the highest in protein compared to any other millet in the market!
Whether you are an athlete, a vegan, pregnant women or even just trying to eat healthy, Proso millet can be a great addition to your diet.
1) Millets for Diabetes - Read Now
2) How to use millets for weight loss - Read Now
3) Kodo millet - Nutrition, health benefits and recipes- Read Now
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sneha Jain, Dietician
Sneha is a Post graduate with specialization in Nutrition and Dietetics. She is a university topper and holds 5+ years of experience in Apollo hospitals, VLCC, slimsutra and first cry fit-kids .
She has successfully counselled clients all over India for weight loss, weight gain, diabetes, hypertension, PCOD, hypothyroid, Pregnancy and lactation and growth charts for children. She has her own diet consultation e-clinic (diet_diariez)
She believes in customized diets and eating local and seasonal foods. Her counselling not only involves diet planning, but also lifestyle modification and stress relief strategies.